boosting regional tourism
The Destination Management Plan (DMP) is a five year plan for guiding sustainable growth in the Wollondilly region. The goals, activities and 'game changer' projects outlined in the plan will strategically contribute to the viability and resilience of the tourism industry.
The DMP was developed with extensive community consultation including group and one-on-one consultation with Wollondilly businesses, residents, Councilors, tourism stakeholders, community groups, State Government and council staff. The DMP was undertaken by Stafford Strategy and adopted by Wollondilly Councilors in October 2018.
- A significant proportion of the Shire is national park, water catchment or Crown-owned land; visitors do not differentiate between Council, Water NSW or NPWS owned/managed land and infrastructure
- Easy access to Wollondilly from Sydney CBD is both an opportunity and a challenge to become an overnight destination
- Wollondilly would benefit from sustainable “game-changing” initiatives - smaller-scale initiatives are likely to struggle to have an adequate impact to address many of the challenges identified in the DMP
- Potential exists to grow niche sectors such as agri-tourism, boutique accommodation and unique sporting events to offer a greater diversity of product and experiences
- Enhancements are required to existing product, to encourage new product and for investment into supporting infrastructure to benefit both the local community and the growing visitor markets.
It is important to note that the DMP is not a marketing strategy but rather a management plan that includes a number of “game changer” projects that Council and other stakeholders can deliver over the next five years to increase visitation and overnight stays in the Wollondilly Shire.